Reports to: Publisher & Managing Director
The Role: In this role, you will manage Sweet Cherry’s editorial department and work with the management team to make strategic decisions. This is a fantastic opportunity for the successful candidate to develop their list-management skills and play a critical role in our growing company.
The Candidate: This role would suit someone currently working as a Senior Editor looking to progress their career as a Managing Editor.
Our ideal candidate will have:
• At least 5 years of experience working in book publishing (children’s is desired but not essential)
• 1+ years of people management is preferred but not essential
• Comprehensive understanding of the editorial, production and sales processes
• Solid experience of commissioning and developing children’s fiction
• First class communication skills, written and verbal, and a meticulous eye for detail
• Strong organisation skills and the ability to work to tight deadlines
• Proven track record in commissioning commercially successful titles
Key Duties & Responsibilities:
• Work closely with the MD and Publisher in order to develop, commission, and acquire new projects that are in line with our sales channels and respond to buyer demand
• Work closely with the Publisher to identify future market trends and mobilize the editorial team to move quickly in the commissioning of appropriate content
• Manage the editorial budget, work on P&Ls and negotiate contracts alongside the Publisher
• Maintain relationships with literary agents, authors and other industry contacts
• Manage a team of editors and their workflow, making sure that deadlines are being met
• Provide leadership, guidance and development opportunities for your direct reports
• Manage authors and freelancers and edit, copy-edit and proofread their work in accordance with the company house-style, while maintaining a high standard of author care
• Writing copy and sending metadata information, such as page and word counts or author information, to the relevant people within the company
About Us: Sweet Cherry Publishing is an independent children’s book publisher based in Leicester. We are a small team with a big mission! We believe that all children should have access to great stories and endeavour to break down the barriers which often get in the way of reading. We are proud of our Leicester heritage and work very closely with the local community to increase literacy rates and promote reading for pleasure. We are a positive & fun team with kindness, success and collaboration at the core of our values. We are proud to represent our authors and are passionate about sharing engaging stories with children of all abilities and backgrounds.
Company Mission Statement: Bringing great stories within everyone’s reach
Company Values: Kindness, fun, positivity, collaboration, helping society
What We Offer:
• 20 days plus bank holidays
• Flexible working hours
• Free tea, coffee and a lot of snacks!
• Monthly team activity
• Free onsite parking
• Workplace pension
Working Hours: 40hrs/week, Monday – Friday (30 minute or 1 hour lunch unpaid)
Holiday: 20 days plus bank holidays
Location: Sweet Cherry Publishing, Unit 36, Vulcan House, Vulcan Road, Leicester, LE5 3EF, United Kingdom
Salary: Negotiable (based on experience)
Deadline for applications: Interviews will take place on an ongoing basis and will continue until a suitable applicant is found.