Reports to: Managing Editor
The Role: Would you like to be involved in the creation of children’s books? If so, we want to hear from you!
Sweet Cherry Publishing is an independent children’s publisher based in Leicester. We are now looking for a Development Editor to join our team.
Our ideal candidate will be detail-orientated and organised with excellent writing skills and a positive work ethic. They will have relevant industry experience, good communication skills and an awareness of current trends in the children’s market.
Key Duties & Responsibilities:
- Reading and evaluating submitted manuscripts, and proposing relevant works for team to consider
- Leading projects and working closely with authors on structural edits
- Editing and proofreading manuscripts in line with our house style
- Writing blurbs, synopses and similar supporting material
- Making corrections to InDesign files
- Circulating blurbs and synopses around the company
- Checking ebook files
- Supporting the Editorial team by completing office admin duties
- Researching and understanding the current children’s book market
Skills, Knowledge and Experience:
- 2+ years experience in publishing (preferably children’s publishing)
- Excellent writing skills and experience writing and editing text
- Meticulous attention to detail and exceptional spelling and grammar
- Good understanding of MS Office, particularly Word and Excel
- Ability to prioritise workload and meet deadlines
- Strong communication and relationship-building skills
- Knowledge of sports and gaming (desirable)
- A strong, proven interest in children’s books
- A positive, can-do attitude, willingness to learn and the ability to work from your own initiative
- A sense of fun!
About Us: Sweet Cherry Publishing is an independent children’s book publisher based in Leicester. We are a small team with a big mission! We believe that all children should have access to great stories and endeavour to break down the barriers which often get in the way of reading. We are proud of our Leicester heritage and work very closely with the local community to increase literacy rates and promote reading for pleasure. We are a positive & fun team with kindness, success and collaboration at the core of our values. We are proud to represent our authors and are passionate about sharing engaging stories with children of all abilities and backgrounds.
Company Mission Statement: Bringing great stories within everyone’s reach.
Company Values: Kindness, Fun, Positivity, Collaboration, Helping Society
What we offer:
- 20 days plus bank holidays
- Flexible working hours
- Free tea, coffee and a lot of snacks!!
- Monthly team activity
- Free onsite parking
- Workplace pension
Working Hours: 40 hours a week, Monday – Friday, 8 hours a day
(30 minute or 1-hour lunch break unpaid)
Holiday: 20 days plus bank holidays
Location: Sweet Cherry Publishing, Unit 36, Vulcan House, Vulcan Road, Leicester, United Kingdom, LE5 3EF
Salary: TBC, Negotiable based on experience
Deadline for applications: Interviews will happen on an ongoing basis and will continue until a suitable applicant is found
To apply: please send your CV and covering letter to email@example.com